Thank you for coming to my website. Please comment on whatever posts you like.
In general I try to respond, but:
1. I will not comment extensively to anonymous responses. It is a violation of journalistic and academic ethics to debate someone anonymously. I will not be pulled into long conversations with an unknown party. Post your full name and website, so that I know who you are (with some kind of verifiable credentials), and I will take your comments much more seriously.
2. Be polite. Don’t be rude, ad hominem, or excessively familiar. I don’t respond to hate-mail, so don’t waste your time. Please don’t call me by my first name, especially if we’ve never meet, or if you are posting anonymously. I don’t obsess about being called ’Dr.,’ but I find it genuinely bizarre when people I’ve never met before call me ‘Bob.’ If you call yourself something like ‘Joe from Seoul,’ that is effectively anonymous too.
3. If you are excessively antagonistic, combative, sharp, and so on, I will not bother responding. Again, this applies especially if you are an unknown quality. I have long email chains with my professional colleagues who are known to me and civil. If you anonymously provoke me, I’ll drop you.
4. Threats, hate-speech, racism, harassment, and so on will be spam-deleted. I believe strongly in the market place of ideas, so I rarely delete comments. But if you’re out of control and violent, you’re gone.
5. You should pretty much agree with everything I say. That’s the best policy in life.